What to Expect from Your First Massage
If you’re nervous about your first massage, don’t be! A massage can be a relaxing, healing experience with many health benefits. But if it is your first time getting a massage, you may have some questions about what to expect or simply want to know how to best prepare. To learn more about what to expect from your first massage, watch this informative video clip.
What Should You Expect & What to Do During Your First Massage
- Let your massage therapist know what type of massage you would like. If you are unsure, ask what type of massage your masseuse offers and choose the one that best fits your needs such as a Swedish massage for relaxation or a deep tissue massage to relieve aches and pains.
- Make sure to let your massage therapist know if you are taking any prescription medications as they can impact your massage. At the beginning of the massage your therapist will ask you questions about why you came in and what areas of the body you want to focus on. During this time you can let them know about any medications you take.
- Tell your massage therapist your preference on light pressure or deep pressure.
- Most massage parlors will have you disrobe in a locker room where robes will be provided or in the massage room. It is up to you in regards to how much clothing you want to take off but most people find the best experience when they remove all their clothing. Don’t worry you will be under a sheet during your massage.
- Depending upon what area of the body the masseuse wants to start with you will either lay face up or face down on the massage table.
- Regardless of what type of massage you get it begins with light strokes and then progresses to deeper strokes as your muscles begin to respond and release. Always tell your masseuse if anything is uncomfortable.
- As your therapist moves to different areas of the body they will redrape you so the sheet continues to cover the areas of the body they are not actively working on.
- At the end of the massage the masseuse will either leave the room so you can get dressed if you disrobed in the massage room or lead you back to the locker room.
West Garden Spa, based in New York City, provides soft tissue massage, Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, 4 hand massage, Asian massage and Shiatsu massage. For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call us at (212) 244-7711.