Swedish Massage Services by West Garden Spa
At West Garden Spa, we have been helping New York City residents unwind with our Swedish massage and other body massage services for over two decades. We place great importance on perfecting our Asian massage techniques and broadening our repertoire. Although people tend to think of Asia as the birthplace of modern massage, when you think of massage, you’re probably thinking of a Swedish massage. The reason for this is that Swedish massage has heavily influenced massage therapy teachings in the United States, with real, therapeutic benefits for you and anyone who receives it. At West Garden Spa, our therapists are experts in the art of Swedish massage, meaning a visit to us will give you access to all the benefits that come along with a massage in an environment that allows you to truly relax.
The Swedish Massage Technique
Swedish massage is marked by massage of the entire body, with therapists using their hands with medium pressure in long strokes, over joints and the lengths of the back, arms, legs, neck, and other areas of the body. This is meant to extend and stretch muscles and connective tissues, increase range of motion, and make you feel looser and more flexible immediately after the treatment is complete. A Swedish massage is often given to help improve the flow of oxygen in the blood and also works to release toxins from the body’s muscles by flushing the lactic acids, uric acids, and other types of metabolic waste from the body’s tissues. There are five primary strokes included in Swedish massage:
- Effleurage strokes: These are long flowing strokes that allow the therapist to spread the lubricant and feel the muscle tone.
- Petrissage: This is a kneading stroke that lifts and squeezes the tissue and helps to flush out metabolic waste in that specific area.
- Friction: Friction strokes involve fast and short movements to create heat. This is great for bringing blood flow to that area and for loosening ligaments.
- Tapotement: This is a series of light blows to the body that are designed to relax the muscles. This is also the massage stroke that most people are familiar with and sometimes looks like alternating karate chops.
- Vibration: This stroke is used to create movement in the entire body and is profoundly relaxing when done correctly.
A Swedish massage works as a full body massage, which tends to be more relaxing due to the increased circulation in the blood and lymph. Other massage techniques, such as a deep tissue massage, differ from Swedish massages because they focus on specific areas of the body rather than implementing an entire body massage. A Swedish massage can also efficiently aid in pain relief, improved mood, and a better night’s sleep.
A Full Body Massage Worth Trying!
The long strokes used in Swedish massage have been believed (and are now known) to be highly effective in increasing blood flow. By strategically moving the hands around the body in motions that manipulate toward the heart, Swedish massage therapists reduce toxins in the blood and muscles while increasing blood flow throughout the body. More recently, additional benefits of Swedish massage (and potentially all massage) have become clear. A study published in the New York Times found that subjects who received a 45-minute or longer Swedish massage produced lower amounts of the hormone cortisol, which is known for its connection to stress. This is one of the first proven cases that shows body massage being successful in relieving and preventing stress. Although, anyone who has ever received a massage knows that to be true without having to see it in writing!
The Numerous Benefits of a Swedish Massage
The benefits of Swedish massage are two-fold: There are clear physiological benefits to this method of massage, but there’s also a growing body of research showing a plethora of additional benefits from this specific massage therapy, as well. These benefits include the following:
- Increases Energy: Increased circulation through a Swedish body massage also means more oxygen delivered through the body, which causes a boost in energy.
- Improves Sleep: Research has shown that getting a body massage increases the serotonin levels in the body, making it more likely for you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- Relieves Headaches or Migraines: Many headaches or migraines are a direct result of poor circulation or high levels of stress. A Swedish massage not only improves circulation but also relieves the stress associated with tension headaches.
If you are dealing with stress, soreness, poor immunity, or could use assistance achieving any of the above benefits, don’t hesitate to reach out to the seasoned team at West Garden Spa for a Swedish massage.
- Increases Relaxation: Swedish massage both calms the nervous system and relaxes muscular tension.
- Reduces Stress: Stress can manifest in the body as increased muscle tension and sometimes pain. In the same way, stress can also manifest in the mind, causing increased worry and anxiety. Swedish massage works to clear the body and mind of unwanted responses to stress.
- Increases Flexibility: Swedish massage techniques work to elongate the muscles, open the joints, and decrease swelling, which all ease movement and increase flexibility.
- Improves Posture: Swedish massage helps relieve overworked or overcompensating muscles, which often contribute to postural imbalances. A full body massage using a Swedish technique helps to ease the muscular holding that is typically the underlying cause of poor posture.
- Improves Blood Circulation: A body massage is excellent for dilating the blood vessels and widening the membrane pores in the body, thus improving the body’s ability to deliver fresh blood to muscles and organs.
- Releases Endorphins: Endorphins are our bodies “feel-good” chemicals. Studies have found that a body massage increases the release of these feel-good chemicals in recipients, improving their mood and feelings of emotional well-being.
- Flushes Out Metabolic Byproducts: Swedish massage, among various other massage techniques, works to stimulate circulation. This stimulus flushes out lactic acid and uric acid that builds up in overworked muscles.
- Increases Range of Motion: Swedish massage will open up and lubricate the joints for increased range of motion and more fluid movement.
- Supports Healthy Immunity: Since a Swedish massage encourages the flow of lymphatic fluid, it also increases lymphocytes, which are immune cells produced in the lymph nodes.
- Increases Nutrient Supply to Muscles: Full body massages, such as the Swedish massage, increases circulation creating an increase in blood supply and nutrients to the muscles.
Get Your Swedish Massage from West Garden Spa Today!
At West Garden Spa in New York, NY, you can enjoy the numerous benefits of Swedish massage therapy from some of the best massage therapist’s money can buy. Simply walk into our facility and let our staff take care of you. Additionally, anyone who uses our spa facility has access to stand-up showers, dry sauna and steam rooms, a private locker area, a luxurious lounge with a flat-screen TV, as well as various other amenities. Whether you’re looking for a Swedish massage, Asian massage, deep tissue massage, or one of our other offerings, we encourage walk-ins and hope our services can bring some relaxation and relief to your busy life. We look forward to meeting you!